Friday, August 22, 2008

Post 15 'TO WIPE THE TEARS OF THE POOR' was his life's motto.

I was his novice master and I knew him very intimately. . . I did not weep like this even when my father and mother died 15 years ago. . . some of his batchmates, especially, Fr. Tomy Layappilly, hugged me and wept loudly like a little child. . . . His was a versatile character. . . He concentrated all his attention to uplift the poor, TO WIPE THE TEARS OF THE POOR. That was his life’s motto. . . Of such great calibre, dynamism, holiness, creativity, humility was Fr. Thomas. . . . I admire his mother. I am sure, it was she who had inculcated such good qualities in this young priest “Kunjumon”. He led a heroic life, . . . See the rest in comments. (Excerpts from the funeral oration of his Novice Master Fr. Mathew Kaniamparampil CMI)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Fr. Provincial asked me to preach the funeral sermon during the ceremony, I accepted it immediately.

I was his novice master and I knew him very intimately. As soon as I received the sad news of his death of my dearly beloved disciple Fr. Thomas Pandippally, I wept bitterly. I did not weep like this even when my father and mother died 15 years ago.

Similarly, as soon as I reached Bellampalli for the funeral service, some of his batchmates, especially, Fr. Tomy Layappilly, who was living along with Fr. Thomas in Yellareddy, hugged me and wept loudly like a little child. I could not control my tears. During the homily I explained the way everyone including the parishioners of Pune, Carmel Vidya Bhavan, was shocked when I broke the news to them at the end of the Mass last Sunday morning.

Fr. Thomas was a man of robust body and a powerful mind. His will power was extraordinary. He fought with those who attacked him Saturday, 16th August night for at least 45 minutes.

His was a versatile character. He was a good singer; he used that talent for singing the glories of God. He was a good orator; he used that capacity to preach the good news of Jesus to others.

He concentrated all his attention to uplift the poor, TO WIPE THE TEARS OF THE POOR. That was his life’s motto. His was an unselfish altruism. Always unassuming, cheerful, down to earth serviceable. Two years ago, he helped a lot on the eve of the blessing of the the Generalate Chapel at Kakkanad, Kochi.

On that occasion, he worked throughout the night. Of such great caliber, dynamism, holiness, creativity, humility was Fr. Thomas. I admire his mother. I am sure, it was she who had inculcated such good qualities in this young priest “Kunjumon”.

He led a heroic life, he died a heroic death. He is the first martyr of the CMI Congregation and of the Church of Andhra Pradesh.

Fr. Mathew Kaniamparampil

Fr Sony Sebastian Palathra CMI said...

Hello Father Mathew, Fr Cyriac and other CMI brethren in Pune, it was an ispiration from the Holy Spirit which compelled me to do this blog in just seconds I read the news in Deepika Internet Daily on Monday morning.

I have never done a blog before except that I have merely just explored the ways fo doing it on my own. That inspiration also really tells me, we have somebody in heaven to intercede for us all. Not only for CMI's but also for as you said, THE POOR of the world.